Sunday, December 30, 2012

Best and Worst of 2012




Another year has gone by and I want to try my hand at another "Best of" list. This list is "me" specific but I like documenting the highs of this past year. So without further ado here the best things of 2012.



Best Author: Gillian Flynn
A few months ago I briefly tried my hand at being in a book club. The book club didn't work out due to no one wanting to pick the second book out but that is neither here nor there. What did work out was our first choice, Gone Girl by Gillian Flynn. A few of my girlfriends had read it early in the year and raved about it but I just never had any motivation to go out and pick it up. I'm so glad that I finally did. Flynn is seriously one of my favorite new authors. Almost immediately after finishing Gone Girl I picked up her two other books, Sharp Objects and Dark Places. She knows how to beautifully write about woman struggling with darkness and about the nature of evil. I would recommend her to anyone who loves dark and twisting novels.

Best Guy: My Boo
Okay, this is not meant to be cheesy or lame (and yet, I know it's going to be) but dang am I happy with my guy. I have ALWAYS dated the bad boy or the wild guy. You know, they don't own a car (or it's a giant pile of junk) and maybe their cell phones turned off because they can't afford the bill and they really hate their retail job but they never apply for another job and they're emotionally distant and irresponsible. I have dated dudes with tattoos on their heads and no other ambitions but to work at the coffee house/music shop/record store. But then I tried my hand at dating a guy with his life together and man oh man I don't know why I didn't do this sooner. Seriously, my boyfriend is amazing. He's one of the best cooks I have ever known, he tucks me in every night when I have to go to bed early because of my job. He's a fearless killer of bugs and he's so warm and open and lovely. I have honestly never been happier. Guys like him make me realize why people still get married, before I could never understand how people could do it, it seemed terrifying. But now it just makes sense, when you find someone so perfect you never let them go.

Best New Development: Self Acceptance
I'm not trying to get new age-y here but getting older has rocked. When I was younger I sort of feared the aging process, it seemed less fun and glamorous. I was out of my mind, every year that passes I am happier and more myself. I feel more at ease with who I am and what my life is than ever before. I like my looks and my body and all these hang ups that I used to have are no longer an issue in my life.Take for instance my weight. I have never been terribly over weight but growing up I really struggled with self image and my size. I was always a few inches taller and a few pounds heavier then every girl I knew. I was so self conscious over my looks. At one point in my life I was really heavy which I then counteracted by becoming entirely too thin. But over the last couple of years I've sort of figured it all out. I love food, I probably have an unhealthy relationship with it. I love food for it's taste rather than for the fact that it's simply fuel for my body. Through a pretty healthy balance of working out, eating good most of the times and allowing myself treats I have found a way to manage my weight without losing my mind. I'm 5'9" and range between 130 lbs and 140 lbs. I run, I do yoga and I also eat cake and drink wine. I'm happy.

Best Career Move: My New Job
I am so in love with my new job. So freaking in love. I get to do work that really excites me and pushes me mentally and physically. I am trying new things that used to scare me and I'm making more money than I ever could at my old job. I am so thankful to God and the universe for getting me to this place. Again, not trying to get new age-y but I feel so beyond blessed for this opportunity and this career path. There were so many qualified candidates for this position and I'm so humbled that I was thought one of the best to do the job.


  

Best Movies and TV: Dark Knight Rises, The Avengers, and Homeland
I love action movies and I love comic books. The last couple of years there have been so many amazing comic movies put out but this year saw two of my favorites. After watching all of the super heroes tales finally seeing them all come together in The Avengers was so rewarding. I loved that movie (which shouldn't be that surprising because I'm a giant Joss Whedon nerd). I loved the final film in the Dark Knight series, it had such heart was beautifully acted. And dang, has Homeland been such an amazing series to get into. So many twists and turns and you never know who to trust or who's working for the other side. 

Worst of 2012
I've never done a "Worst of " but there were a few things that occurred this year that deserve to be called out for how horrible/tragic/annoying that they are.

Worst Repeat Crime: Mass Shootings
I believe in the right for citizens to own guns. I don't think more laws against guns is the solution because criminals will never follow laws and there should not be an added burden to law abiding citizens. But there has to be something done about these mass shootings that are occurring throughout the US. The last shoot at Sandy Hook broke my heart. We as a country need to come together to figure out a way to stop violence without giving up too many of our rights. Let's stop funneling money to wasteful and useless in devours and start helping those suffering with mental illness. 

Worst Government Issue: Fiscal Cliff
It is so beyond frustrating that Republicans and Democrats are so focused on one upping each other that our country is on the brink of this Fiscal Cliff bullshit. Poor people should not be paying more in taxes than billionaires. That's ridiculous. However, I do agree that companies that provide jobs and economic boosts should benefit from some tax cuts. There has to be a way to find a happy median. Let's work together to fix this country and benefit all instead of the few.

Worst Big Bad Company: Wells Fargo
I feel slightly ill including my student loan issues in the same category as the horrible tragedy that killed children but banks like Wells Fargo (and any other that bank that holds student loans) should be ashamed of their behavior. This country has something like a trillion dollars in student loan debt. I am hard working and totally willing to pay off my debts but when I pay nearly $800 a month in loans (with only $100 going towards principal) I will never get out from under this debt. I believe that there has to be something we can do so banks can get their money back and students like me can pay off their debts without living in the poor house.

So I guess that's my lists. It's been a wonderful year and I'm so thankful for my life and my loved ones. I hope 2013 is even better than this lovely year.





No comments:

Post a Comment