Thursday, April 12, 2012

Feelin' the Love // Sushi

Oh man. So this little blog of mine has been getting TONS of traffic since my last post. This makes me incredibly happy. Not only because I honestly enjoy this whole blogging thing but it's nice to know that I'm helping to spread the story of Officer Padron. Yesterday was his procession back to San Angelo and seeing the streets of Austin lined with citizens paying their respects was so moving. Through the 4 hour drive to lay his body to rest emergency crews and officers would line the streets in far away towns to honor him and his service.

Want a good cry? Take a look at how Austin Texas pays tribute to a fallen hero:




Thousands of officers followed his body home until he was finally laid to rest. It was so incredibly moving to see how everyone in this town came together to show their respect.

SOOOO. In order to stop the crying here is a little how to make Sushi post.

I've recently decided to try to get healthy/healthier. Here's the thing; I've never really been un-healthy (except in my childhood when I was a little fat rolly poly of a kid) but ever since I started dating my fella there's been a lot more ice cream and pizza nights and a lot less salad and running. I decided to cut out ALL pizza and ice cream for the month of April (doesn't sound drastic at all but when you go from eating it like, 3 times a week to nothing, you start to get with drawls).

I've always really liked Veggie Sushi but my poorness prevented me from buying it ($5 bucks for one roll!!!). Turns out it's not that hard to make it and getting started wasn't that expensive. All you need is the ingredients (rice, rice vinegar, sushi paper, veggies) and if your fancy you can buy a sushi rolling mat which is only a few bucks (or just use saran wrap like in this blog). Here's a How To article that provides some great instructions.


Veggies: carrots, cucumber, and avocado. YUM.

Sushi paper on Sushi rolling mat.

Cook rice and then combine it with a mixture of vinegar and sugar. Then let it sit until it's cool/room temp. It should become very sticky which can be a pain in the ass. Apply it evenly over the rice paper making sure to leave room on the sides and the end. Then add your veggies.

Roll it up, cut it up and serve with pickled ginger and wasabi. Pickled ginger is some of my favorite stuff in the world. Also, home made wasabi kicks you right in the face so if you don't like spicy/bold just avoid this stuff.

Fun fact: Don't buy $7 Saki even if you think it would be totally cutesy to do a whole Asian theme. Perhaps this is a fact that every adult knows but me but $7 Saki is the worst tasting thing ever. It's just frothy and bland. I LIKE alcohol and I can stomach a lot but I couldn't make it through a glass of this stuff.

All in all, this whole recipe cost less than $25 dollars and that was for everything (rolling mat, pickled ginger, wasabi, all the veggies, rice, ETC). You get tons of sushi out of it and once you invest in the tools you can make delicious sushi whenever you want.

No comments:

Post a Comment