Monday, October 3, 2011

Going Martha Stewart Up on Everything

Saving money has been freaking delicious (and probably fattening).

I've been making my own bread for a while now and I really enjoy it. The recipe makes two loaves (I tend to give one away) and I only have bread in the house when I know I'm going to use it. Plus, fresh bread is on a whole other level.

Look at this kick ass sandwich:


I've been wanting to make apple butter for a while ever since I saw this recipe. Apples went on sale at my local grocery store for $0.97 so I figured it was time. I can't even describe how amazing my house smelled. It was also a great way to bring in the fall (FYI fall in Texas is when it drops below 90 degrees and there's a slight breeze). After reading some of the comments I modified the recipe by reducing the sugar to only 1 cup and using some Agave Nectar I had in my cupboard. Despite my best efforts it turned out more like apple sauce so I had to give it a whirl in my food processor. After that it was perfect. Next time I might process the apples before cooking and add another cup of sugar to thicken it up.


Tomorrow I plan on making fresh buttermilk biscuits and going to townnnnn. I hope leggings are still in fashion because I doubt I'll be able to fit in any of my pants for much longer.

Unfortunately I wasn't satisfied with the sugar overload of apple butter. I wanted more. MORE. Lately I've been all about ice cream. After 4 years of being vegan I now want to try every single flavor my pals Ben & Jerry can offer. That got to be an expensive habit so I wanted to try my hand at home made ice cream. The only problem is that I don't own an ice cream machine and I certainly can't rationalize spending $40 on something I don't really need. So I googled my heart out until I found a recipe for home made ice cream sans ice cream machine.

I found this recipe from a blog called Kevin and Amanda and I don't know how my heart is still beating. There's only two ingredients: Heaving whipping cream and sweetened condensed cream. Jesus. The blog also gives recipes for cinnabun and Nutella ice cream. I decided to keep it simple with plain ol' vanilla. The recipe was easy and cheap (around $3 for 3 full mason jars of sweetness!!!).


So good. The only difference between this and store bought ice cream/ice cream made with a machine is that it isn't as cold. It is, however, ridiculously creamy and satisfying.

No comments:

Post a Comment