Saturday, September 17, 2011

Grocery Store

So I broke down and went grocery shopping. Ugh, I know but it was sort of necessary. I was basically out of soy milk, which I use for creamer in my morning coffee, and trust me, the world is a better place when I have my morning coffee. I've been having a daily cup of joe since I was 13 and the caffeine headache I get when I don't feed my 12 year habit is insane. Also, I had no fresh veggies or fruit. I was a vegan for 4 years and before that a vegetarian for 2 and even though I now eat everything I still need a pretty hefty serving of fruit and vegetables.

I wanted to be a frugal as possible and honestly I think I did pretty well because I only spent $15!! I can't remember the last time I have spent that little for food (besides take out). Even on a quick run in to pick up snacks for Girl's Night I spend around $20. So, for 15 bucks I got a pretty good selection: head of lettuce, 3 peaches, 3 bananas, 2 large cucumbers, 1 large tomato, yogurt, 1 large can of tuna, box of mac n cheese, 2 cartons of soy milk, 3 packages of ramen noodles, and a store brand sprite. I needed (or craved) the ramen and sprite because I have a pretty gnarly hangover from too much whiskey and the mac and cheese was free with the purchase of the can of tuna.

If I can manage to shop like this more often (only buying small amounts, buying store brands, and using coupons) I think I can definitely get my spending under control.

Also, my boyfriend decided to be an absolute sweet heart and buy me lunch meat and cheese (which is why I wanted the lettuce and tomato) which will taste delicious on the fresh bread that I'm in the middle of making.


EDIT:


Look at this delicious, fresh, homemade bread. As soon as I was done snapping this photo I cut a slice, slathered it in butter, and ate it up. Amazing!
I used this recipe but modified the time. My oven cooks very quickly so I baked the bread at 375 degrees for 15 minutes and then at 250 degrees for 10 minutes.

No comments:

Post a Comment