Thursday, September 15, 2011

Cable Savings

So I made the dreaded cable canceling call today. Luckily (or perhaps she was just doing her job properly) I got a service representative that was willing to cut me a deal. She was able to offer me the new customer service price and free DVR services (for only six months) at a rate of $83.98 a month. After 6 months $10 will be added for DVR services. Since my old bill ranged between $127 and $130 I have a total savings of around $43!! Yes, it could be better (I could have had the balls to cancel completely and discount myself from the time sucker that is my tv) but saving nearly 50 bucks a month after a simple phone call is pretty legit.

So, let's review my current stats!
Rent, water, and utilities: $736 or less a month
Texas has had an unprecedented heat wave of a 100+ temps and my utilities bill has never topped $99 so (hopefully) the max I will pay for these services is 736 bucks.

Netflix: $16.23
Gym: 17.31
Total for credit card: $33.54 (less than the $50 I guessed on my last post)

Fixed bills
Cable: $83.98
Phone: $100
Loans: $300
Total: $483.98

Subtotal=$1253.52 a month (not including food or gas). I estimated (or hoped) that I could get by with spending $200 on food and $100 on gas a month which means the final, super awesome, brand new grand total (hopefully!!!) is $1553.52 a month.

So after being more precise in my calculations and making some phone calls I have saved an estimated $59.48 a month.

It's probably pretty premature to start preening over savings I haven't seen yet but I feel that I'm on the right path to fixing my finances. Also, once I actually start getting some paychecks (and, you know, buying food) I want to possibly start selling things on Etsy. If through refurbishing furniture and selling it here in Austin and selling things on Etsy I can manage to come up with a couple extra bucks a month then I'll be in an even better spot.

No comments:

Post a Comment